You should first have a look at our research, where you will find for each area a list of staff members and their research supervision interests, from which you can click through to individual staff pages. You may like to make email contact to discuss a possible project, but many students come to us with no definite project or supervisor - feel free to apply anyway.
The Mathematics (with Foundation Phase) programme from University of York supports the principles laid out in the London Mathematical Society Good Practice Scheme. We value diversity and aim to create an inclusive community where everyone is treated with dignity and respect regardless of individual characteristics such as age, gender, disability, religion or ethnicity.The Department is firmly committed to women's progression in mathematics and holds the Bronze Award of the Athena SWAN programme for women in science. Several of our academic and research staff are women, along with about 40% of our students. Our female graduates work in fields as diverse as medical statistics, defence and the financial industry, and for employers such as BAE Systems and Microsoft. York is a great place for a woman to study and graduate in mathematics
- The PhD (with Foundation Phase) runs over four years and may be suitable for applicants who require more extensive masters-level initial training before they embark on a PhD research project.
- The first two terms comprise an integrated portfolio of lecture and reading courses (equivalent to 80 hours of MAGIC courses) and a project report.
- The taught component is aimed at broadening and deepening the student's general mathematical knowledge in an appropriate range of specialist areas.
- Approximately half of the taught courses will be chosen to be relevant to the student's broad prospective research area and will normally include a directed learning module or reading course, worth the equivalent of two 10 hour MAGIC courses.
- The reading course will be chosen to provide a foundation for the student's study project.
- 48 months
- 96 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
- StartingApply anytime.
In most cases, applications can be submitted year-round. However, we recommend that you apply as early as possible as some areas are particularly competitive.
DisciplinesPhysics Mathematics Applied Mathematics View 55 other PhDs in Mathematics in United Kingdom
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
Applicants for admission to graduate research degrees in Mathematics should have or expect to have a good honours degree (equivalent of 2.i or higher) in Mathematics, or a good honours degree in which Mathematics has formed a substantial part of the course.
International18900 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 18900 GBP per year during 48 months.
National4650 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4650 GBP per year during 48 months.
- UK Part-time: £2,325
- International/EU Part-time: £9,450
Living costs for York
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.