A PhD, by definition, is an original contribution to knowledge. A research degree is different from a taught course. Research students in the Psychology programme at London South Bank University are expected to self-direct their learning with support from a supervisory team. The teaching and learning style at PhD level takes the form of 1:1 supervision, e-learning and workshops.
In the most recent Research Excellence Framework Psychology was rated:
- 60% of our research was awarded 3* out of 4* - 'very considerable impacts in terms of their reach and significance'
- 85% of submitted publications to be internationally recognised, internationally excellent or world leading.
Our research has made a difference at many levels: influencing policy and creating new commercial capabilities. Our scientists work in multidisciplinary teams to target major societal challenges in the areas of human health, well-being, performance and behaviour. We apply theory in theses areas to contemporary real world issues by undertaking innovative and rigorous science.
We are University of the Year for Graduate Employment for the second year in a row - The Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide 2018, 2019.
At LSBU, we want to set you up for a successful career. During your studies – and for two years after you graduate – you’ll have access to our Employability Service, which includes:
- An online board where you can see a wide range of placements: part-time, full-time or voluntary. You can also drop in to see our Job Shop advisers, who are always available to help you take the next step in your search.
- Our Careers Gym offering group workshops on CVs, interview techniques and finding work experience, as well as regular presentations from employers across a range of sectors.
Our Student Enterprise team can also help you start your own business and develop valuable entrepreneurial skills.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- All research students are required to participate in a Key Skills Development programme aimed at developing transferable skills in addition to those employed in carrying out research. Training in research methods is available through frequent research seminars.
- When necessary the research student can follow, in part, relevant Masters courses available within the School and in particular units on research methodology. In some cases, research students are encouraged to follow other courses available within the University or externally aimed at improving their general expertise in their chosen areas.
- In addition, they may be encouraged to follow language courses aimed at improving their oral and written skills - both essential in their future careers.
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 36 months
- 60 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
- Apply before , International
January; February; March; April; May; September; October; November
DisciplinesPsychology Educational Psychology Clinical Psychology View 86 other PhDs in Psychology in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- Applicants for a Research Degree programme at LSBU are usually expected to have a good honours degree (2:2 and above) and a relevant postgraduate qualification, preferably a merit at Master's level.
- Please also supply two academic references as part of your application. You will also be required to show proof of all of your qualifications.
- If English is not your first language you will be required to prove your competency in English, showing an IELTS score of at least 7.0 at postgraduate level. You will be invited to an interview with your potential supervisor, in person or by telephone, prior to an offer being made.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International14900 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 14900 GBP per year during 36 months.
National4530 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4530 GBP per year during 36 months.
- UK fee: £2718
- International fee: £8940
Distance learning fees
- UK fee: £4530
- International fee: £4530
Living costs for London
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
International undergraduate and postgraduate students scholarships:
- International Scholarships
- LSBU is offering scholarships and discounts to hundreds of students via our International Scholarships International Merit Scholarships
- We offer students pursuing undergraduate or postgraduate taught programmes with outstanding academic profiles a fee reduction of up to £4,000 on each full academic year's tuition fees.
- LSBU Loyalty Award
- We offer postgraduate Tuition Fee discounts for LSBU graduates progressing directly onto a postgraduate course and eligible alumni.
- ONCAMPUS London South Bank Merit Scholarship
- 25% fee reduction to ONCAMPUS London South Bank students progressing to university degree programmes.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.