The objectives of the Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) program in materials science and engineering is to educate and train highly qualifed individuals to perform original, cutting-edge research in materials science, particularly in the areas of structural materials (including nanomaterials), nano/micro electronic materials, optical and magnetic materials, polymeric materials, energy materials, 2D materials, as well as advanced characterization and processing of materials. Upon graduation, these individuals will become an important added value for the academic and/or industrial institutions and thus contribute to the new economy.
The Materials Engineering program from Instituto Superior Técnico seeks to train highly specialized researchers in Materials Engineering, who may pursue their activities, in Portugal or abroad, in higher education institutions, research Laboratories or industrial companies.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Complements in Materials Technologies
- Materials for Energy
- Outreach and Teaching Skills
- Research Project in Materials Engineering
- Science Dissemination and Teaching Skills
- Scientific Option of another PhD Course
- Seminars in Materials Engineering
- Technological Option of another PhD Course
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , EEA/EU
DisciplinesMaterials Science & Engineering General Engineering & Technology View 43 other Masters in General Engineering & Technology in Portugal
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- Holders of an Undergraduate Degree and Master’s Degree may apply for this training doctoral programme by obtaining a pass in an advanced study course, that grants a total of credits between 30 and 60 ECTS, followed by advanced research, development and innovation work, leading to a dissertation (PhD thesis). In all it has a 3 year duration.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International7000 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 7000 EUR per year and a duration of 36 months.
EU/EEA1063 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 1063 EUR per year and a duration of 36 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.