The PhD program in Mechanical Engineering from Instituto Superior Técnico is tailored to provide advanced knowledge and research capabilities in the following scientific areas:
- Environment and Energy
- Control, Automation and Industrial Computing
- Aerospace and Applied Mechanics
- Mechanical Design and Structural Materials
- Mechanical Production and Industrial Management
- Thermofluids and Energy Conversion Technologies
The first PhD Degree in Mechanical Engineering was issued in 1968. Since then, the Doctoral Program in Mechanical Engineering was formally established and, from 1987 till 2011, 190 Doctoral degrees were issued.
Doctor graduates will be able to join Higher Education institutions, Research Laboratories or R&D-oriented companies.
The Doctoral Program in Mechanical Engineering consists in an Advanced Studies Diploma Course (60 ECTS), as well as the preparation of an original research Thesis. Thesis defense is public.
- Advanced Control Systems
- Advanced Environmental Modelling
- Advanced Topics on Computational Fluid Mechanics
- Applied Heat Transfer
- Computational Dynamics
- Computational Solid Mechanics
- Control of Nonlinear Systems
- Energy and Atmosphere
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , EEA/EU
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesMechanical Engineering General Engineering & Technology View 45 other PhDs in General Engineering & Technology in Portugal
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- Applicants to the Doctoral Program in Mechanical Engineering must be holders of a 5-year degree (pre-Bologna) or a Master degree in Mechanical Engineering or related fields.
International7000 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 7000 EUR per year during 36 months.
EU/EEA1063 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1063 EUR per year during 36 months.
Living costs for Lisbon
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.