- Astrophysics and Gravitation
- Plasmas Physics, Nuclear Fusion, Photonics and Intense Lasers;
- Physics of Condensed Matter, Nanotechnology, Solid State Physics and Atomic and Molecular Physics;
- Particle and High-Energy Physics, and Nuclear Physics.
The PhD Program in Physics is designed to provide advanced knowledge and research capabilities into subjects consistent with expertise available in the Department of Physics of IST.
After completing their PhD, graduates of this program are expected to have acquired the ability to perform autonomous scientific work in their particular field of study, expanding the frontiers of knowledge with their original research to the highest standards of quality and integrity. These graduates should promote academic, professional, technological, social and cultural progress, in interaction with the academic community and the society at large.
The graduates in Physics can integrate research units and R&D laboratories, namely with enterprises, in Portugal or abroad, in the public or the private sectors. These graduates are highly qualified researchers to work in large institutions of research and technological development: European Organization for Nuclear Research (CERN); European Southern Observatory (ESO); European Space Agency (ESA); Joint European Torus (JET); International Thermonuclear Experimental Reactor (ITER).
The PhDs in Physics can also follow an academic career as Professors of higher education, in national or international universities.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Advanced Condensed Matter Physics
- Advanced Experimental Methods in Particle Physics
- Advanced Topics in General Relativity, Astrophysics and Cosmology
- Advanced Topics in Nuclear Physics
- Advanced Topics in Particle and Astroparticle Physics
- Condensed Matter Physics and Quantum Information
- Nuclear Physics Methods in Science and Technology
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , EEA/EU
- 30 to 33 ECTS
DisciplinesPhysics Natural Sciences General Engineering & Technology View 6 other Masters in Physics in Portugal
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- Holders of an Undergraduate Degree and Master’s Degree may apply for this training doctoral programme by obtaining a pass in an advanced study course, that grants a total of credits between 30 and 60 ECTS, followed by advanced research, development and innovation work, leading to a dissertation (PhD thesis). In all it has a 3 year duration.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International7000 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 7000 EUR per year and a duration of 36 months.
EU/EEA1063 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 1063 EUR per year and a duration of 36 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Check for additional visa infoVisit official programme website
Check for any work restrictionsVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.