The School of Creative Studies and Media welcomes applications from well-qualified graduates who wish to engage in research for the degree of Practice-Led Research PhD/MPhil in Professional Writing, Film, Media, New Media, Journalism, Creative Studies, Drama, Professional Writing which combines a piece of creative practice such as media/performance work plus a dissertation/piece of critical work.
The environment in Bangor University couldn’t be better for studying at postgraduate level. You will be joining a vibrant postgraduate community and a School with significant experience in teaching the creative industries at postgraduate level.
Following their research degrees, past graduates have secured positions in prestigious academic institutions as well as a variety of creative (and related) industires, including broadcasting, filmmaking, advertising/PR, game devlopment, and tourism.
PhD/MPhil study is available in subjects across the whole spectrum of the Creative Industries, with potential research or practice-led research specialisms in:
- Digital Culture
- Political Communication and Cultural Politics
- Cultural and Creative Knowledge and Economy
- 24 months
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
DisciplinesFilm, Photography & Media Creative Writing Journalism View 39 other PhDs in Film, Photography & Media in United Kingdom
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Start from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at Bangor University and/or in United Kingdom, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
- We would normally expect students starting a PhD or MPhil to hold a first class or a good second-class undergraduate degree. In many cases PhD and MPhil applicants have studied to MA level, though this is not compulsory.
- We are able to accept students on a distance-learning basis, but they should have already acquired the skills taught in the introductory seminars, or should make arrangements to attend equivalent seminars at another institution, at their own expense. Students whose first language is not English are expected to have achieved a TOEFL score of at least 600, with a TWE (written score) of 4; or an IELTS score of at least 7+.
International16500 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 16500 GBP per year during 24 months.
National4660 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4660 GBP per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Bangor
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.