The emphasis is on small groups, close working relationships between students and supervisors, and development towards full professional participation in the subject area. For research students we are able to provide both a full ESRC recognised research training programme and high quality expert supervision across a broad spectrum of subjects.
Social Policy and Sociology with specialisations in:
- Comparative Social Policy
- The historical sociology of health
- Health Policies and devolution
- Mental illness and learning disabilities
- Ageing and social change
- Housing Policy
- Ethnographic and ethnomethodological studies of work
- Conversation Analysis
- Membership categorisation analysis
- Schooling and social interaction
- Culture and Media
- Popular Culture
- Language and social interaction
- Identity and diversity
- Childhood and family.
The Social Policy, Sociology programme is offered at Bangor University.
Programme StructureCourses include:
- Community and locality
- Activism and citizenship in rural areas
- Lifestyles and environment
- Civil society in Wales
- Environment and sustainability
- Food and farming cultures
- 36 months
- 72 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
The University will accept applications throughout the year.
DisciplinesSociology Public Policy View 43 other PhDs in Public Policy in United Kingdom
A good honours degree in a related discipline is required. Students without a Masters degree in a relevant discipline will be required to undertake a taught research training programme in their first year. Students should submit a research outline which must be approved by the Course Director.For those whose first language is not English or Welsh, the minimum English language requirements is:
- IELTS: 6.5 (with no individual score lower than 6.0)
- Pearson PTE: 62 (with no individual score lower than 58)
- Cambridge English Test – Advanced: 176 (with no individual score lower than 169)
International15500 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 15500 GBP per year during 36 months.
EU/EEA4500 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4500 GBP per year during 36 months.
Living costs for Bangor
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.