Bioinformatics from University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA) can be defined broadly as the study of the inherent structure of biological information. Some of this inherent structure is very obvious (e.g., statistical patterns that reveal crucial functional regions such as genes), while others are less obvious but still immediately fruitful (e.g., how regulatory sequences give rise to “programs” of gene expression), while others are profound long-term challenges (e.g., how the genome encodes the capabilities of the human mind).
Students at Bioinformatics from University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA) will:
- distinguish different types of tumors with dramatically different treatment requirements, which previously were hard to differentiate clinically.
- know about reveal the precise pathways by which dangerous pathogens (like HIV) evolve drug resistance, and how to slow the evolution of multi-drug resistance.
- know about mapping brain functions automatically from standard imaging data.
- Advanced Methods in Computational Biology
- Bioinformatics Interdisciplinary Research Seminar
- Algorithms in Bioinformatics
- Statistical Methods in Computational Biology
- Machine Learning Applications in Genetics
- Computational Methods in Genomics
- Machine Learning in Bioinformatics
- 60 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesBiology Health Informatics Bioinformatics & Biostatistics View 160 other PhDs in Biology in United States
- 3 letters of recommendation from professors, supervisors, or others who may provide an evaluation of the applicant's accomplishments or potential in research, teaching, and related scholarly activities
- Your CV should cover relevant skills and experience for bioinformatics
- Your statement of purpose
- The Personal Statement
- An overall scholastic average of B (3.0 on a 4.0 scale) or better is required, or its equivalent if the letter grade system is not used, and in any post-baccalaureate study.
- English Proficiency
International32588 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 32588 USD per year during 60 months.
National32588 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 32588 USD per year during 60 months.
In-State17486 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 17486 USD per year during 60 months.
Living costs for Beverly Hills
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.