- Mathematics is in constant and vigorous development, driven both by its internal dynamics and by the demands of other disciplines.
- The spectrum of mathematical research at EPFL reflects both this vigour and this diversity. It ranges from fundamental domains such as geometry and algebra, which despite their reputations as 'pure' topics nonetheless have increasingly important applications in areas such as communication systems, to more 'applied' domains such as numerical modelling, statistical science, and operations research, in which research is generally motivated by challenging real scientific and technological problems.
- EPFL researchers conduct high-level investigations across a wide spectrum of contemporary mathematics and enjoy high international reputations for their work. The EPFL Doctoral Program in Mathematics reflects this. It offers the point of entry and the administrative home for EPFL doctoral candidates in mathematics, and provides them with advanced courses and training.
- Each year a wide range of advanced courses is offered, spanning the interests of researchers at EPFL. These range from formal lecture courses to working groups, and include intensive advanced seminars held away from the campus.
- The offerings are coordinated with mathematical activity elsewhere in Western Switzerland and more widely, and in particular with advanced courses and seminars organized as part of the doctoral programs at the universities of Fribourg, Geneva and Neuchâtel.
- The courses are listed each year in the course book for the Doctoral School, and are updated regularly to reflect changes in research emphasis and important developments.
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
Who is eligible?
- PhD candidates who have obtained a 4-5 year Master degree or an equivalent title and who have a strong background in mathematics, physics, computer science and/or related fields. Any applicant who has already completed a thesis in a similar or related subject to the field of mathematics is not admitted as a doctoral candidate at EPFL.
- Exceptionally, candidates with only a Bachelor degree (at least 4 years), but with excellent grades, can apply.
Living costs for Lausanne
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.