- Dance-specific scholarship (incorporating, for instance, the analysis of movement, compositional studies and historical methodologies) forms the heart of the department’s research perspective, and emphasis is thus placed on the student’s attainment of literacy in the theory, history and literature of dance through a cluster of required core courses that reflect this perspective.
- After completing core Dance Studies courses at the The Ohio State University, the PhD student conceives a research topic with the close advisement of faculty members. Benefiting from the department’s situation within a leading research university, the student may choose to supplement this independent research through extra-disciplinary studies in any number of fields available in the larger university. The PhD student’s research culminates in a written dissertation.
- The PhD program requires a total 80 units of graduate credit, at least 50 of which must be earned beyond the Master's degree. It is a full-time degree; part-time students are occasionally considered on a case-by-case basis. All doctoral students complete a written qualifying examination at the end of the first year of study to prepare for continuing studies. Students entering the program with a bachelor's degree only complete an additional written comprehensive examination at the end of the first year in the program.
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesTheatre & Dance View 6 other PhDs in Theatre & Dance in United States
Submit documentation that demonstrates fulfillment of the following:
- A baccalaureate or professional degree (or equivalent foreign credential)
- A minimum of a 3.0 cumulative GPA (on a 4.0 scale)
- Prerequisite training that will enable you to pursue your program
- Standardized test score (GRE or GMAT)
International40831 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 40831 USD per year during 24 months.
National37687 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 37687 USD per year during 24 months.
In-State12679 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 12679 USD per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Columbus
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Graduate and professional students at Ohio State have a variety of funding options available to them, including associateships and other employment, fellowships, loans and scholarships.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.