Founded in 1306 by Pope Clement V, the University of Orléans is one of the oldest European universities.
It is renowned across Europe. It closed its doors during the French Revolution in 1793, like every other university in France. It came back to life in the 1960s with the creation of a campus in the South of Orléans.
The university has 3 faculties, 1 engineering university school (Polytech), 4 University Institutes of Technology (IUT), 1 Higher Schools for Professors and Educators (INSPE), 1 Observatory of the Sciences of the Universe (OSUC), 1 University school of physiotherapy (EUK).
Every year its international focus gets stronger. Its capacity for innovation is reflected in the dynamism of the research it leads and in the technology transfers to regional, national and international companies.
The CROUS (Regional Center for University and School Works) is a public administrative establishment independent of the university, which manages student accommodation on campus. University registration does not necessarily entail admission to a university residence.
The library of the IUT, on both sites, is part of the network of libraries of the Joint Documentation Service of the University of Orléans.
The wooded campus of Orléans, spanning about a hundred hectares, is located 100km from Paris, in the capital of the Centre-Val de Loire region, at the heart of the Val de Loire, a territory listed in the UNESCO's World Heritage and famous for its castles.