Our research uses a range of methodological approaches and includes political science, comparative politics, and political sociology; public policy and policy analysis; international relations and foreign policy analysis; European governance, regulation and economic decision-making; political theory, political philosophy, and the history of political thought; democratic theory, elections, and parties. Forthcoming appointments will strengthen and expand these areas of expertise. Admission to the PhD programme is highly selective, and requires a good match between PhD topic and supervisor capabilities.
Officially accredited/recognized by the Privy Council, King's College London (KCL) is a large (enrollment range: 25,000-29,999 students) coeducational higher education institution. King's College London (KCL) offers courses and programs leading to officially recognized higher education degrees such as bachelor degrees, master degrees, doctorate degrees in several areas of study.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Programme StructureCourse study environment
- Each student has two supervisors and meets regularly with the first supervisor. The department provides office space and computer equipment on the Strand campus. The department runs seminars for PhD students on topics such as publication strategy, and to discuss actual research.
- PhD students are also encouraged to attend research seminars in DPE and related departments, and are expected to present at one such seminar in their time at King’s. Our large undergraduate programme offers opportunities for PhD students to earn money and valuable teaching experience. PhD students have the opportunity to spend part of their PhD working at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, and at the National University of Singapore.
- 36 months
- 72 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , National
DisciplinesInternational Relations Political Science View 29 other Masters in International Relations in United Kingdom
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Applicants will normally have Masters degree with at least a Merit (or international equivalent) including a dissertation mark of no less than 65% (UK marking scheme)
- Application procedure
- The minimum requirement for entry is a good master’s degree in a relevant subject or practical experience in the field of study (these are only minimum requirements: competition for places is intense).
International21870 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 21870 GBP per year and a duration of 36 months.
National5820 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 5820 GBP per year and a duration of 36 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.