The Institute is closely involved in the College’s key partnership with Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi, with a programme of research exchanges for postgraduate students in addition to a joint PhD programme with the National University of Singapore. In addition, we regularly host visiting fellows from institutions such as the Indian Council for Cultural Relations (ICCR) and the Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce and Industry (FICCI), Brookings India, and the Centre for Policy Research, New Delhi.
We offer two dedicated PhD modules viz. Interpreting India and Methods in the Social Sciences and Humanities besides a weekly Writing Up seminar. In addition, students are encouraged to audit relevant MA modules at the India Institute and across College, and can take dedicated doctoral training courses run by the KISS-DTC.
Officially accredited/recognized by the Privy Council, King's College London (KCL) is a large (enrollment range: 25,000-29,999 students) coeducational higher education institution. King's College London (KCL) offers courses and programs leading to officially recognized higher education degrees such as bachelor degrees, master degrees, doctorate degrees in several areas of study.
Programme StructureCourse study environment
- The India Institute offers a lively and thought-provoking programme of seminars, workshops and colloquia, all of which encourage interaction between graduate students, research staff and a wider audience.
- Together with the Institute's core staff and associate faculty across various departments at King's, PhD students add to the multi-disciplinary and vibrant intellectual atmosphere of the Institute. The Institute also regularly hosts internationally renowned visiting fellows who add an important dimension to our stimulating academic environment.
- 36 months
- 72 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , National
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies View 108 other PhDs in Area & Cultural Studies in United Kingdom
- A Master's degree is usually required.
- In exceptional circumstances only, a Bachelor's degree with first class or high 2:1 honours will be considered.
International21870 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 21870 GBP per year during 36 months.
National5820 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 5820 GBP per year during 36 months.
Living costs for London
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
For information about fees and funding please visit: http://www.kcl.ac.uk/study/postgraduate/fees-and-funding/index.aspx
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.