You conduct independent research on a high academic level and communicate directly with the supervisor of your dissertation. Individual supervision helps guide discussions on your research topics and encourages and supports other relevant academic aspects of the programme.
An environment of stimulating scientific discussions, scientific and engineering training of the highest standard, internationally respected research projects; these things await you as a doctoral student at TU Graz.
At TU Graz you can obtain a doctorate in natural sciences (Doktor der Naturwissenschaften) or a doctorate in technical sciences (Doktor der technischen Wissenschaften). The doctoral programmes are organised in Doctoral Schools. You will do your research within one of the doctoral schools depending on your subject and your supervisor.
As a Doctoral School of Architecture student at Graz University of Technology (TU Graz) you are part of the community of your doctoral school. You will discuss your research project regularly with teachers and other students. This ensures that you get perfect supervision and support in your work. At the same time you will expand your knowledge of relevant subjects in courses and lectures and in contacts with academic and industry experts.
Your doctoral programme is based on the curriculum for the Doctoral Programme in Technical Sciences (technische Wissenschaften) or Natural Sciences (Naturwissenschaften). Additionally, the statutes of your Doctoral School set out required courses in the subject, the procedures for preparing and submitting your thesis, handling of publications and other subject-specific issues.
- Conduct independent research in the field of architecture and related fields
- Find and describe solutions for scientific and technological problems
- Prepare, publish and defend research findings
- Build up a broad base of knowledge about the scientific work and research on your dissertation topic and specialize on this topic
- Deepen your knowledge in the following areas:
- Exchange information on the progress of and results from your dissertation with your supervisor and other students
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesArchitecture Design History
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
For admission to a doctoral programme at TU Graz, you must fulfil one of the following requirements according to the Curriculum:
- completion of a subject-related diploma or master’s programme in engineering sciences or natural sciences at a university or
- completion of another degree programme at a recognised Austrian or foreign post-secondary educational institution that is equivalent to the aforementioned degree programmes or
- completion of a degree programme at a recognised Austrian or foreign post-secondary educational institution in combination with supplementary curricular requirements or
- completion of a subject-related bachelor’s programme.
International1452 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 726 EUR per semester during 36 months.
EU/EEA726 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 363 EUR per semester during 36 months.
Living costs for Graz
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.