Our staff are strongly committed to research and teaching. They are world leaders in their individual specialisms, with their papers appearing in learned journals such as; Briefings in Bioinformatics , PLoS One, BMC Bioinformatics, and Briefings in Functional Genomics.
The Department of Mathematical Sciences is based in the University’s state-of-the-art STEM Centre. Research students have a dedicated work space and PCs, with access to software such as MATLAB, LaTeX and R.
All University of Essex research students have access to our innovative and unique scheme, Proficio. Postgraduate research students are automatically enrolled on Proficio, which provides a variety of training courses, and a fund of up to £2,500 per student for conference attendance and relevant external training courses.
Your future after the PhD Bioinformatics research from University of Essex
Many of our former PhD students have gone on to work as academics in prominent institutions across the world, such as the University of Cambridge, University of Nottingham and many other international universities. Some have also remained at the University of Essex, working as postdoctoral research fellows, research impact officers, or lecturers.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- A research degree gives you the chance to investigate an area or topic in real depth, and develop transferable research skills. During your time in the Department you have opportunities to attend conferences, publish papers, and give talks at departmental research seminars. You may also attend some university modules, and will meet with your supervisor typically on a weekly basis.
- Within our Department, our PhD students are usually encouraged to take our taught module, Research Methods, in the first year of study, so you are well equipped with the necessary skills to undertake effective research. You may also attend some other modules on an informal basis.
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 48 months
- 84 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesBiology Informatics & Information Technology Bioinformatics & Biostatistics View 30 other PhDs in Bioinformatics & Biostatistics in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Start from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at University of Essex and/or in United Kingdom, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
- You will need a good honours degree and a Masters degree in a relevant subject. A well-developed research proposal is also essential.
- You may be required to attend an interview/Skype interview for acceptance, and acceptance is subject to research expertise in the department.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International17050 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 17050 GBP per year during 48 months.
National5360 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 5360 GBP per year during 48 months.
- Home/UK fee: £2,815
- International fee: £8,525
Living costs for Colchester
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.