We have a number of staff with expertise in these areas who are willing to supervise PhD students, and you are invited to contact our department to discuss potential research areas.
Features of PhD Pure Mathematics at University of Essex
- Our data scientists carefully consider how not to lie, and how not to get lied to with data. Interpreting data correctly is especially important because much of our data science research is applied directly or indirectly to social policies, including health, care and education.
- We do practical research with financial data (for example, assessing the risk of collapse of the UK’s banking system) as well as theoretical research in financial instruments such as insurance policies or asset portfolios.
- We also research how physical processes develop in time and space. Applications of this range from modelling epilepsy to modelling electronic cables.
- Our optimisation experts work out how to do the same job with less resource, or how to do more with the same resource.
- Our pure maths group are currently working on two new funded projects entitled ‘Machine learning for recognising tangled 3D objects’ and ‘Searching for gems in the landscape of cyclically presented groups’.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
A research degree gives you the chance to investigate an area or topic in real depth, and develop transferable research skills.
During your time in the Department you have opportunities to attend conferences, publish papers, and give talks at departmental research seminars. You may also attend some university modules, and will meet with your supervisor typically on a weekly basis.
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 48 months
- 84 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesMathematics Applied Mathematics View 34 other PhDs in Applied Mathematics in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- You will need a good honours degree and a Masters degree in a relevant subject. A well-developed research proposal is also essential.
- You may be required to attend an interview/Skype interview for acceptance, and acceptance is subject to research expertise in the department.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International17050 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 17050 GBP per year during 48 months.
National5630 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 5630 GBP per year during 48 months.
- Home/UK fee: £2,680
- International fee: £8,115
Living costs for Colchester
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.