Since chemical reactions in these environments are often catalysed by microorganisms, we have developed a recent and expanding interest in geomicrobiology.
Here by combining the techniques of microbiology and molecular biology with physical, chemical and modelling approaches, we focus on the role microorganisms play - or have played - in key geological processes.
We are also currently investigating innovative approaches that can be used to guide natural biogeochemical cycles, in order to drive the remediation of land and water contaminated by metals, radionuclides and toxic organics.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Fundamental work aims to identify:
- Biogeochemical controls on mineral cycles in a range of environments,
- Including the iron and sulphur cycle; as well as those of toxic metals, including arsenic, chromium, technetium and transuranics.
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesGeology Microbiology View 26 other Masters in Microbiology in United Kingdom
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- We normally expect students to have a First or Upper Second class UK honours degree or international equivalent, in a relevant science discipline or a first degree with an additional UK Masters degree (or international equivalent).
- English language
- English language test validity
International20000 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 20000 GBP per year during 36 months.
EU/EEA6500 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 6500 GBP per year during 36 months.
- UK/EU students (per annum): Band 1 £6,250, Band 2 £8,250, Band 3 £12,500
- International students (per annum): Band 1 £22,500, Band 2 £24,500, Band 3 £26,500
Living costs for Manchester
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.