The Department promotes critically-engaged innovative academic research and teaching, and is a vital center for recruitment of diverse undergraduates, graduate students, and faculty.
American Studies is a formal academic discipline that began more than seventy years ago as the United States was undergoing a series of crises over the meaning of the nation. Then, as now, American Studies has posed critical questions to Americans about the meaning of the United States in a global society. UNM's program, one of the first four American Studies programs in the nation, remains a dynamic place of critical inquiry, as well as a leading resource for scholarly explorations of the Southwest and New Mexico in particular.
Students of the American Studies program from The University of New Mexico have the opportunity to develop an interdisciplinary approach to their specific areas of interest, and receive training in a broad range of historical, literary, visual, and ethnographic theory and methods.
Areas of distinction in research and teaching are:
- Transnationalism, Globalization, and Colonialism
- Critical Regionalism and Southwest Studies
- Critical Race and Class Studies
- Environmental and Social Justice
- Gender, Sexuality and Feminist Studies
- Comparative Cultural and Popular Culture Studies
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesAmerican Studies View 4 other PhDs in American Studies in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- A substantive letter of intent (3-5, double-spaced pages) summarizing prior academic training, explaining current academic and professional objectives, and justifying how these goals might be met in the Department of American Studies. The letter of intent should focus on scholarly and research interests and avoid personal histories and confessions.
- Three letters of recommendation (a Departmental requirement which must be received by January 15).
- A sample of recent written work, preferably academic work, not to exceed 30 pages.
- One unofficial copy of transcript(s) from the university where the student received their BA and/or MA degree(s).
Living costs for Albuquerque
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.