Students should become familiar with the UNM Catalog. Students may continue to follow the requirements of the Catalog under which they entered, even if later editions vary, though they are free to choose to switch to the requirements of a later edition of the Catalog.
- The Sociology Department at The University of New Mexico offers a Ph.D. degree with an MA degree earned en route. We do not offer a separate MA terminal degree. All of our graduate students are admitted directly into the PhD program.
- Those who enter without an MA degree and thesis complete the required MA en route to the Ph.D. Although students may leave the program after finishing their M.A. (or at any other point along the way), all students enter our program with the initial intent of earning the Ph.D.
Programme StructureCourses include:
- Introduction to Research Methods
- Sociological Data Analysis
- Classical Sociological Theory or Sociology
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- Applicant Demographic Form
- A resume or curriculum vitae
- A letter of intent that clearly and concisely describes your academic background and interests
- Three letters of recommendation from academic references that address your past academic performance, including analytical abilities and potential for success in graduate studies
- Two Writing Samples of approximately 5 - 15 pages in length
- Unofficial Transcripts (from each academic institution attended)
Living costs for Albuquerque
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.