Energy Science and Engineering Concentration
This concentration is offered in collaboration with the Center for Interdisciplinary Research and Graduate Education (CIRE). The CIRE is a joint effort between University of Tennessee colleges and the Oak Ridge National Laboratory.
The students who wish to pursue this concentration will normally have completed 6 credit hours of the ESE Core for CIRE students, 8 credit hours of the Core for EEB students, and 1 credit hour of CIRE seminar. The Ecology and Evolutionary Biology program is offered by the University of Tennessee Knoxville.
In addition to general requirements of the Graduate Council, aspirants for the Doctor of Philosophy degree are expected to:
- Complete course requirements as determined by the department and the student’s faculty dissertation research committee.
- Pass a written and oral comprehensive examination designed to test for adequate knowledge in those areas essential to the student’s research program.
- Satisfactorily complete and defend a dissertation.
- The department does not require a reading knowledge of a foreign language, but this may be imposed by the student’s faculty dissertation research committee.
- If so, the student has the option of demonstrating reading knowledge of the prescribed language by either passing the official reading examination given by the language department or earning a grade of at least a B in the second semester of a special language reading course for graduate students.
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesBiology Ecology Genetics View 15 other PhDs in Ecology in United States
- The completed online Graduate Application for Admission
- A non-refundable application fee
- One unofficial transcript from all colleges and universities attended submitted on-line at the time of application to the Graduate School
- The submission of official transcripts and degree certificates
- Departmental application
- Reference letters or rating forms
International31798 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 31798 USD per year during 36 months.
National13380 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 13380 USD per year during 36 months.
Living costs for Knoxville
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.