Successful completion of the PhD requires a minimum of 24 credit hours of approved graduate coursework beyond that required for the master’s degree (i.e., a student entering the PhD program with a bachelor’s degree must complete 48 credit hours of approved graduate coursework), an additional 24 credit hours of dissertation, approval of a written dissertation proposal, completion of a comprehensive examination, and successful oral defense of a written dissertation. The Geology program is offered by the University of Tennessee Knoxville.
Students entering the PhD program with a Master’s degree must complete the comprehensive examination by no later than the end of the student’s third semester. Students entering the PhD program with a Bachelor’s degree (but without a Master’s degree) must complete the comprehensive examination by no later than the end of the student’s fourth semester.
- The written dissertation will demonstrate high-quality, original research by the student. Research results will be presented orally in a departmental seminar open to the public, and will be defended in a private defense restricted to the Dissertation Committee and interested departmental faculty.
- Publication of at least one research paper on the student’s dissertation topic (not previous work) in a peer-refereed journal or equivalent outlet is expected.
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesEarth Sciences Geography Geology View 18 other PhDs in Geography in United States
- The completed online Graduate Application for Admission
- A non-refundable application fee
- One unofficial transcript from all colleges and universities attended submitted on-line at the time of application to the Graduate School
- The submission of official transcripts and degree certificates
- Departmental application
- Reference letters or rating forms
International31798 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 31798 USD per year during 36 months.
National13380 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 13380 USD per year during 36 months.
Living costs for Knoxville
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.