- For students proceeding directly to the PhD from the baccalaureate degree, a minimum of 72 graduate credit hours is required. These credit hours must include 42 graduate credit hours, including MSE 511, MSE 512, MSE 513, and MSE 514, at least 6 credit hours of 600-level courses in the department, and 30 credit hours of dissertation. Six credit hours of MSE 503 may be counted toward degree requirements. At least 24 credit hours must be courses taught in the department.
- The materials science and engineering major must include the courses required for the master’s program. Coursework in the polymers concentration must include the courses required for the master’s program and MSE 639. For students in the nanomaterials concentration at least 12 credit hours of course work must be from the approved nanomaterials specialization list.
- For students in the biomaterials concentration at least 12 credit hours of course work must be from the approved biomaterials specialization list. For students in the automotive materials concentration at least 12 credit hours of course work must be from the approved automotive materials specialization list.
- For students in the Energy Science and Engineering concentration, at least 18 credit hours of course work must be from the curriculum jointly approved by the Bredesen Center for Interdisciplinary Research and Graduate Education and the MSE graduate affairs committee. The Materials Science and Engineering program is offered by the University of Tennessee Knoxville.
- Courses include:
- Fundamentals of Materials Science and Engineering
- Graduate Seminar in Materials Science and Engineering
- Polymer Engineering
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesMaterials Science & Engineering General Engineering & Technology View 124 other PhDs in General Engineering & Technology in United States
- The completed online Graduate Application for Admission
- A non-refundable application fee
- One unofficial transcript from all colleges and universities attended submitted on-line at the time of application to the Graduate School
- The submission of official transcripts and degree certificates
- Departmental application
- Reference letters or rating forms
International31798 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 31798 USD per year during 36 months.
National13380 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 13380 USD per year during 36 months.
Living costs for Knoxville
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.