For the PhD program in mathematics, the student must meet the following five requirements in addition to those of the Graduate Council. The Mathematics program is offered by the University of Tennessee Knoxville.
- Demonstrate competency in advanced calculus and linear algebra by either a satisfactory performance on a diagnostic examination or by passing the appropriate 400-level course with a grade of B or better by the end of the student’s first year of graduate school. The appropriate course for advanced calculus is the MATH 447-MATH 448 sequence and for linear algebra is the MATH 457-MATH 458 sequence or MATH 453.
- Satisfy either the standard program or the interdisciplinary mathematical ecology/evolution concentration. A student intending to work in mathematical ecology/evolution may complete either but is encouraged to complete the interdisciplinary mathematical ecology/evolution concentration.
- Take at least two different one-semester research seminars and MATH 599.
- Pass an examination in the field of specialization after requirements in bullets 1-3 have been met. This examination will be given by a committee appointed by the department head. A student may take this specialty examination no more than two times.
- Pass a one-year, 600-level sequence in mathematics outside the student’s area of specialization. The sequence selected to fulfill this requirement must be approved by the department head and the student’s doctoral committee.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Honors: Analysis
- Honors: Abstract Algebra
- Matrix Algebra
- Seminar in Mathematical Presentations
- Modern Algebra
- Real Analysis
- Numerical Mathematics
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesMathematics Applied Mathematics Actuarial Science View 26 other Masters in Applied Mathematics in United States
- The completed online Graduate Application for Admission
- A non-refundable application fee
- One unofficial transcript from all colleges and universities attended submitted on-line at the time of application to the Graduate School
- The submission of official transcripts and degree certificates
- Departmental application
- Reference letters or rating forms
International31798 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 31798 USD per year during 36 months.
National13380 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 13380 USD per year during 36 months.
Living costs for Knoxville
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.