Two departments participate – Plant Sciences and the soils faculty in Biosystems Engineering and Soil Science. Other concentrations within the plant, soil, and environmental sciences doctoral program include crop sciences, horticulture, plant breeding, plant molecular genetics, and weed science.
Focus areas in the environmental and soil sciences concentration include soil and water chemistry; nutrient management; pedology, genesis and classification; environmental climatology; soil biology and biochemistry; and soil physical processes. The Plant, Soil, and Environmental Sciences, Environmental and Soil Sciences program is offered by the University of Tennessee Knoxville.
- The student and the major professor will select a minimum of three additional faculty, holding the rank of assistant professor or above, to serve on the student's doctoral committee.
- The major professor and two committee members must be approved to direct doctoral research by the Graduate Council. At least one member of the committee must be from outside the department. The doctoral committee must be formalized by the end of the second semester of graduate study.
- An approved program of study must be submitted by the end of the second semester of graduate study. A candidate for the doctoral degree must complete a minimum of 24 credit hours of graduate course work beyond the master's degree.
- Candidates not having a master's degree must complete a minimum of 48 credit hours of graduate course work beyond the baccalaureate degree, 24 credit hours of which must be numbered 503 or higher.
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesPlant & Crop Sciences Environmental Sciences Genetics View 25 other PhDs in Plant & Crop Sciences in United States
- The completed online Graduate Application for Admission
- A non-refundable application fee
- One unofficial transcript from all colleges and universities attended submitted on-line at the time of application to the Graduate School
- The submission of official transcripts and degree certificates
- Departmental application
- Reference letters or rating forms
International31798 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 31798 USD per year during 36 months.
National13380 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 13380 USD per year during 36 months.
Living costs for Knoxville
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.