Students must also pass two qualifying exams in theory and methods no later than the beginning of the third year of study and a comprehensive examination in one of the four areas of concentration (criminology, critical race and ethnic studies, environmental sociology, and political economy), write a dissertation based on original research, and pass a final oral examination on the dissertation.
The Sociology program is offered by the University of Tennessee Knoxville.
- Sociological Theory
- Advanced Quantitative Methods
- Survey Design and Analysis
- Field Research
- Comparative Historical Sociology
- Discourse Analysis
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies Sociology View 30 other PhDs in Area & Cultural Studies in United States
- The completed online Graduate Application for Admission
- A non-refundable application fee
- One unofficial transcript from all colleges and universities attended submitted on-line at the time of application to the Graduate School
- The submission of official transcripts and degree certificates
- Departmental application
- Reference letters or rating forms
International31798 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 31798 USD per year during 36 months.
National13380 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 13380 USD per year during 36 months.
Living costs for Knoxville
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.