The program emphasizes systematic analysis of the forms, functions, and meanings of messages within various contexts.
- Its broad social-scientific orientation springs from the belief that many methodological approaches are appropriate to studying and building theoretical explanations of communication.
- Advisors and committee members work closely with individual students to select courses from the Department of Communication Studies and other University departments at The University of Iowa, and to plan teaching and research experiences that prepare students for the employment they seek after graduation.
- This area of specialization focuses on the interplay of institutions, texts, and audiences in mediated communication systems.
- Its central aim is to examine modern media—radio, television, advertising, music, new media, and a wide range of other popular cultural expressions—within their historical, social, political, economic, and cultural contexts.
- It also uses the mass media as sites for asking basic questions about culture, society, politics, and modernity.
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesCommunication Sciences Corporate Communication View 8 other PhDs in Corporate Communication in United States
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- You must first submit the online application to the Graduate College and pay the $60 application fee by credit card ($100 for international applicants).
- Once you have submitted your application, you will receive an email instructing you on how to upload your supporting documents and submit letters of recommendation. A few programs require materials be sent directly to them. However, almost all supplemental material can and should be uploaded from your Admissions Profile in MyUI, our online service center for applicants and students. You can only access this AFTER you have submitted your application.
International30612 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 30612 USD per year during 24 months.
National30612 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 30612 USD per year during 24 months.
In-State11665 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 11665 USD per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Iowa City
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.