The mission of the Department of Civil, Architectural, and Environmental Engineering is to:
- Provide high-quality undergraduate and graduate education in civil, architectural, and environmental engineering that will prepare graduates for professional careers and a lifetime of learning;
- Conduct high-quality research that will advance the body of knowledge and improve the quality of human life; and
- Serve the engineering profession and society through active involvement in professional organizations and contribution of professional expertise.
The educational objectives of the Civil Engineering Ph.D. program from University of Miami are to produce graduates whom:
- Have advanced technical knowledge in at least one specialty area of civil engineering;
- Have advanced capability to apply advanced knowledge to engineering problems; and
- Have made significant contributions in at least one specialty area of civil engineering.
- [Specialty areas include structural, environmental, water-resources, and architectural engineering.]
Student Learning Outcomes
- Students will demonstrate an advanced knowledge of the discipline (mathematics, science, and engineering), including methodology relevant to a specialty area.
- Students will demonstrate an advanced ability to identify, formulate, and solve engineering problems to carry out supervised research.
- Students will demonstrate an advanced ability to generate technical contributions and effectively communicate them to the scientific community.
- Lecture-based and/or Independent Study courses
- Lecture-based CAE courses at the 700 level (not Independent Study)
- Doctoral Dissertation
- Transfer and/or exchange coursework (not counted towards the B.S. or M.S. degrees) may be taken at another institution and used to satisfy the requirements for the Ph.D. degree.
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
30 - For a Ph.D. following an M.S. 60 - For a Ph.D. without prior M.S.
DisciplinesCivil Engineering & Construction View 27 other PhDs in Civil Engineering & Construction in United States
- Official original diplomas and certificates in the original language
- Official original transcripts in the original language (names of courses, grades, and hours of instruction) for every year of study.
- Documents in a language other than English must be accompanied by professional, certified English translations. Translations supplement, but do not replace, the official documents.
International65100 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 2170 USD per credit during 12 months.
National65100 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 2170 USD per credit during 12 months.
Living costs for Miami
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.