The Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) in Education, Culture and Society at University of Utah is a 69 credit-hour academic degree designed primarily to provide students with the intellectual background and research skills of a scholar. The average period of completion is 5 years. It emphasizes disciplinary training and research methodology, culminating in a dissertation, and is a degree that connotes advanced study in theoretical and research issues.
The doctoral core distribution includes a choice of course work in each of the three major areas of the Department. All students must complete this work before beginning work on the preliminary examination.
- History, Philosophy and Sociological Studies (6 hours)
- Language, Culture and Curriculum (6 hours)
- Educational Theory (9 hours)
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesEducation Area & Cultural Studies Educational Research View 164 other PhDs in Education in United States
- An undergraduate GPA of at least 3.0, based on all undergraduate work. If the undergraduate GPA is below 3.0, a GPA will be calculated on the last 60 semester hours (90 quarter hours) of the undergraduate work for admission consideration;
- Meeting the academic department’s admission standards, and receiving a recommendation for admission to their graduate program.
International62655 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4177 USD per credit during 24 months.
National62655 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4177 USD per credit during 24 months.
In-State17640 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1176 USD per credit during 24 months.
Living costs for Salt Lake City
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.