Both orthodox and heterodox approaches to economics are integral parts of the program which includes a technically sophisticated presentation of economic theory and quantitative methods as well as a variety of fields of specialization, with a particular emphasis on cross-cutting themes of inequality, globalization, and sustainability. The Economics Department at University of Utah has approximately 50 Ph.D. students in residence and a faculty of 19 with Ph.D.s from leading universities across the U.S and Europe.
- Have an advanced understanding of the professional literature and the methods used in the core fields of microeconomics, macroeconomics, and political economy.
- Have an advanced understanding of the mathematical and econometric methods used in the discipline.
- Develop an area of specialization, related to their field course work, in which they have begun to make contributions to knowledge through a research program, including the completion of a dissertation.
- Develop the writing and oral presentation skills that will make them effective teachers and/or serve them in careers as researchers in academia, government, non-governmental research and policy organizations, or private enterprise.
- Political Economy and Critique
- Microeconomic Theory
- Macroeconomic Theory
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesEconomics Finance Accounting View 55 other PhDs in Economics in United States
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university
- Minimum cumulative undergraduate GPA of 3.0
- Successful completion of intermediate microeconomic and macroeconomic theory
- Acceptable GRE scores on verbal, quantitative, and analytical components
- Three academic reference letters
- A brief statement of personal academic goals
- TOEFL score of 550 or better (or IBT equivalent) or IELTS of 6.5 or above (international students only)
International125310 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4177 USD per credit during 48 months.
National125310 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4177 USD per credit during 48 months.
In-State35280 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1176 USD per credit during 48 months.
Living costs for Salt Lake City
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.