Chinese Studies Research at King's College London offers a 2 year full-time or 3 year part-time MPhil, and a 3 year full-time or 4-6 year part-time PhD, with some students registering first for the MPhil and transferring to the PhD programme after their first year. T
his is a prolonged research programme culminating in the presentation of a thesis, followed by an oral examination (viva voce). The thesis must form a distinct contribution to the knowledge of the subject and afford evidence of originality, shown either by the discovery of new facts or by the exercise of independent critical power.
- We offer a series of dedicated seminars on PhD study at the start of each academic year focussing on issues such as planning your research and conducting fieldwork. Students can also participate in the induction and training programmes offered by the College.
- The China Institute hosts frequent research seminars with speakers from around the world. Where relevant, research students can also audit MSc-level lectures in the China Institute and in other departments.
- 24 months
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , National
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies View 109 other PhDs in Area & Cultural Studies in United Kingdom
- A Masters degree is usually required.
- In exceptional circumstances only, an undergraduate degree with 1st Class or high 2:1 honours degree will be considered.
International20820 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 20820 GBP per year during 24 months.
EU/EEA5550 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 5550 GBP per year during 24 months.
Living costs for London
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.