The goal of the Social Genetic & Developmental Psychiatry at King's College London is to bridge the gap between “nature” (genetics) and “nurture” (environment) as they interact in the development of complex human behaviour, such as depression and Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder in children.
Launched in 1994 as a partnership between the MRC (Medical Research Council) and the thrn IoP, the Centre is a unique multi-disciplinary institution that studies social epidemiology, child and adult psychiatry, developmental psychopathology, development in the family, personality traits, cognitive abilities, statistical genetics, and molecular genetics. This unparalleled approach has inspired and nurtured collaborative research between the different departments within the Institute of Psychiatry, Psychology & Neuroscience and demonstrated its impressive multifaceted expertise
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Programme StructureCourse study environment
- Graduate research students work closely with their supervisors and enjoy regular meetings to discuss their progress. They also liaise with other members of staff with relevant research interests and are encouraged to attend and participate in departmental research presentations and other Institute seminars. There is a full induction for new graduate students on commencing their studies.
- Training courses run by the department, the Institute of Psychiatry (IoP) or through the Graduate School can be utilised as required to provide training in a wide variety of topics, from transferable skills to academic areas directly relevant to the student's thesis. In addition, most students find it useful to attend the SGDP annual week-long Summer School which provides an introduction into the technical and conceptual aspects of behavioural genomics and is an unrivalled opportunity to attend lectures by experts in the field.
- 36 months
- 72 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesSustainable Development Health Sciences Genetics View 57 other Masters in Genetics in United Kingdom
- Bachelor’s degree with 2:1 honours in psychology, behavioural, biological or mathematical sciences; or a relevant qualification in medicine; or a relevant professional qualification.
- A 2:2 degree may be considered only where applicants already have a Masters with Merit or above in a related subject.
International25350 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 25350 GBP per year during 36 months.
National6720 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 6720 GBP per year during 36 months.
Living costs for London
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.