The first year of the Doctoral Program in Biology at Universidade de Aveiro includes a curricular component (60 ECTS) structured in Advanced Courses, focused on various thematic areas of the scientific field of Biology (total of 24 ECTS), tutorial classes (20 ECTS), and the preparation of the thesis component (16 ECTS). At the end of the first year, the student will have to submit and publicly defend his doctoral workplan. A positive evaluation is required for their permanence in the doctoral program.
The remaining three years are full-time dedicated to the development of the research work leading to the submission of a thesis (corresponding to 60 ECTS each year), preparation of publications, thesis writing and defense of this evidence in public examination. The thesis must consist of original research in the scientific field of Biology at the choice of the student, within one of the subject areas offered under the Advanced Courses: Molecular Biology and Genetics; Cell Biology; Microbiology; Ecology, Biodiversity and Ecosystem Management; Ecotoxicology and Environmental Biology; Marine Biology; Tropical Biology and Ecology; Cygenetics and Aquatic Resources; Communication, Dissemination and Biological Illustration; Biology and Applied Biosciences.
The flexible organization of the curricular component of Advanced Courses modules allows the recognition of skills and knowledge gained in courses / training obtained in other Universities / Research Centers, national or foreign, provided that such training is recognized by the Coordinating Committee of the Doctoral Program.
The general objectives of the PhD program are:
- A general understanding of the main branches of biology, and the ability to recognize their interactions.
- The high quality training in a research environment demanding yet supported, with the participation of scientists of international standing .
- Training in advanced methods and techniques of analysis and applied research in the field and laboratory.
- Developing the capacity to seek and interpret complex scientific information.
- The development of the ability to conduct original research and able to fulfill the process of peer review.
- The development of the ability to conceptualise, design, implement and manage scientific research.
- The development of the ability to interact with teams of interdisciplinary research in the identification and formulation of relevant scientific problems.
- The development of the ability to find funding for the implementation of scientific edge.
- The development of the ability to present ideas and the scientific specialist and non-specialist audiences results.
- The acquisition of skills in entrepreneurship and self-employment area .
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Advanced Course in Cell Biology
- Advanced Course in Biology and Applied Biosciences
- Advanced Course in Biology and Tropical Ecology
- Advanced Course in Marine Biology
- Advanced Course in Molecular Biology and Genetics
- Advanced Course in Communication, Distribution and Biological Illustration
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesBiology Microbiology Genetics View 10 other PhDs in Biology in Portugal
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Start from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at Universidade de Aveiro and/or in Portugal, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
- Master level degree or legal equivalent in Biology or associated areas.
- Foreign higher education degree in Biology or associated areas awarded on completion of a 2nd cycle study programme organised in accordance with the principles of the Bologna Process by a State adhering to this process.
- Foreign higher education degree in Biology or associated areas recognised as satisfying the objectives of the master degree by the scientifically and statutorily competent body.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International2750 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 2750 EUR per year during 48 months.
National2750 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 2750 EUR per year during 48 months.
Living costs for Aveiro
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.