We offer supervision in the following areas:
Architectural and planning education
With the Architecture, Planning, and Landscape at the Newcastle University you will conduct research into innovative teaching methods, the integration of theory and practice, and learn from related creative disciplines.
The Higher Education Funding Council for England (HEFCE) has funded research into effective skills transfer. This activity is strengthened through our involvement in the:
- European Association for Architectural Education (EAAE)
- Association of European Schools of Planning (AESOP)
- European Council of Landscape Architecture Schools (ECLAS) including the Le NOTRE EU Network
Architectural science and environmental design
- design related aspects of construction and the use of buildings
- non-destructive testing
- measurement of energy
- environmental performance
Cities and technology
- the changing relationship between utilities, the development, planning and management of contemporary cities
- culture and the built environment, including cultural change and transformation of the built environment
Design history and theory
- architectural history
- architectural theory
- material culture
- environmental economics
- benefit appraisal
- Our research in this area covers environmental planning, management, impact assessment, sustainability, and Local Agenda 21 issues.
Landscape architecture, landscape planning, landscape design and landscape management
- landscape architecture theory, philosophy and environmental ethics
- sustainable landscape planning, design and management
- the history and development of the designed and cultural landscape
- Social housing
- Community development
- Information technology in construction
- Computer-based information search
- Retrieval systems
- Building product modelling with a philosophy of taking basic and applied research through to the end users
- 36 months
- 72 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
- StartingApply anytime.
We suggest international students apply at least two months before.
DisciplinesArchitecture Landscape Architecture View 25 other PhDs in Architecture in United Kingdom
- A 2:1 honours degree and a master's degree in an appropriate discipline, or international equivalent. If you have no research experience you will need to register for an MPhil in the first instance.
International18000 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 18000 GBP per year during 36 months.
National4407 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4407 GBP per year during 36 months.
Living costs for Newcastle upon Tyne
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.