With the Biology PhD at the Newcastle University students whose interests match the expertise in these areas of biology:
Ecology and conservation
Our Ecology and Conservation Research Group works to understand patterns observed in nature - species and habitats. This often includes anthropogenic effects.We collaborate with a variety of organisations concerned with species and habitat conservation, including statutory responsibility. We work with research partners and conservation practitioners from the UK and across the globe.s and clinical pharmacy.
Our research covers:
- human-wildlife interactions
Biological, clinical and environmental systems modelling
The Biological, clinical and environmental systems modelling group focuses on analysing the structure and dynamics of complex biological and clinical systems. We have a specific interest in investigating spatially and temporally heterogeneous processes in biology. We are driven by practical problem solving through the use of modelling.
Applied and Environmental Biology
We conduct research on organisms and processes of commercial and environmental importance. Our experimental approaches include:
- molecular biology
Some examples of the commercial applications we develop include:
- natural products discovery
- creation of novel antimicrobials and biopesticides
- sustainable methods of reducing food spoilage
- microbes involved in biofuel production
- uses of microbes in bioremediation of polluted environments
Learn more about the Applied and Environmental Biology group.
You can find more information about staff specialisms on the School of Natural and Environmental Sciences website.
We invite you to propose your own research topic, or you can follow one of the projects suggested on the School of Natural and Environmental Sciences website. If you wish to develop your own research topic, you are recommended to contact a potential supervisor at the School of Natural and Environmental Sciences to develop your ideas, before submitting your formal application via the Applicant Portal.
You will benefit from two supervisors from our research community. You are encouraged to present your research results at our annual Postgraduate conference. You'll also benefit from training in a wide range of transferable skills, such as statistics and web design, through the Faculty of Science, Agriculture and Engineering (SAgE) Graduate School.
The School of Natural and Environmental Sciences has good contacts with industry and hosts seminars and workshops, some of which are attended by visiting professors from industry. Biology students have the opportunity to participate at national and international conferences and to supplement their income by undertaking undergraduate laboratory demonstrating.
- As a research student you will receive a tailored package of academic and support elements to ensure you maximise your research and future career. The academic information is in the programme profile and you will be supported by our Postgraduate Researcher Development Programme, doctoral training centres and Research Student Support Team.
- 36 months
- 72 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
There is no application closing date but specific deadlines for funding may apply. We suggest international students apply at least two months beforehand.
DisciplinesBiology Biochemistry Genetics View 54 other PhDs in Genetics in United Kingdom
- A 2:1 honours degree or master's degree in a related subject, or international equivalent.
- To study this course you need to meet our Band 2 English Language requirements:
- If you have lower English Language scores, you may be accepted onto a pre-sessional English course.
International32300 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 32300 GBP per year during 36 months.
National4407 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4407 GBP per year during 36 months.
Full time: £4,407 - £12,507*
Part time: £2,203.50 - £6,253.50*
Full time: £24,000– £32,300
Living costs for Newcastle upon Tyne
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.