- The PhD in Art History at the University of Illinois at Chicagois designed to promote intellectual inquiry and provide professional-level training in the discipline, in a program that provides both wide coverage and particular depth in areas of faculty strength, including, but not limited to, the History of Architecture, Design, and Urbanism; Global Art Histories; and the History of Modern and Contemporary Art. Students may also pursue topics that combine these areas of focus or expand beyond them.
- Historiography of the Visual Arts, 1750 to 1960
- Toward New Histories of the Visual Arts, 1960 to the Present
- Topics in Medieval Art and Architecture
- Topics in Modern and Contemporary Art
- Topics in North American Art and Architecture
- Topics on Art in Chicago
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesHistory Art History View 12 other PhDs in Art History in United States
- Doctoral applicants who have a Master of Arts degree in a related field may be accepted directly into the doctoral program with the transfer of up to 32 credits toward the doctorate.
- Letters of Recommendation Three required, preferably from professors and others who are familiar with the applicant’s potential for serious academic work.
- Applicants must submit a short statement of purpose (2–3 pages) that should address the reasons for wishing to do doctoral work and the relationship of this work to their professional and career objectives.
- Applicants must submit a sample of their written work (approximately 25 pages).
- Applicants must submit a list of their academic and professional achievements (1-4 pages).
International7227 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 7227 USD per year during 24 months.
7,227 - 17,714 USD
Living costs for Chicago
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.