The Computer Science programme from University College London (UCL) has built a reputation as one of the major university centres for applied computer science research in Europe.
Because we have some of the top UK research groups in many fields, you will be supervised by academics at the very forefront of computer science, in a wide range of areas.
UCL Computer Science graduates secure careers in a variety of organisations including global IT consultancies, City banks and specialist companies in manufacturing industries.
The department takes pride in helping students in their career choices and offers placements and internships with numerous start-up technology companies, including those on Silicon Roundabout, world-leading companies such as Google, Skype and Facebook, and multi national finance companies including Morgan Stanley, Deutsche Bank and JP Morgan.
Our graduates secure roles such as applications developers, information systems managers, IT consultants, multimedia programmers, software engineers and systems analysts in companies such as Microsoft, Cisco, Bloomberg, PwC and IBM.
Programme StructureResearch areas:
- Bioinformatics: protein structure; genome analysis; transmembrane protein modelling; de novo protein design methods; exploiting grid technology; mathematical modelling of biological processes
- Financial computing: software engineering; computational statistics and machine learning; mathematical modelling
- Human centred systems: usability of security and multimedia systems; making sense of information; human error and cognitive resilience
- Information security: cryptology; digital watermarking; cryptoanalysis; steganography
- Intelligent systems: knowledge representation and reasoning; machine learning
- Media futures: digital rights management; information retrieval; computational social science; recommender systems
- Networks: internet architecture; protocols; mobile networked systems; applications and evolution; high-speed networking
- 48 months
- 60 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
- Applications are accepted on a rolling basis.
DisciplinesComputer Sciences Human Computer Interaction Web Technologies & Cloud Computing View 56 other PhDs in Computer Sciences in United Kingdom
- A UK Master's degree in a relevant discipline with Merit, or a minimum of an upper second-class UK Bachelor's degree in a relevant discipline, or an overseas qualification of an equivalent standard. Work experience may also be taken into account.
- If you are intending to apply for a time-limited visa to complete your UCL studies (e.g., Student visa, Skilled worker visa, PBS dependant visa etc.) you may be required to obtain ATAS clearance. This will be confirmed to you if you obtain an offer of a place.
International25960 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 25960 GBP per year during 48 months.
National5690 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 5690 GBP per year during 48 months.
Part-time tuition fee:
- UK: £2,845/year
- Overseas: £13,280/year
Living costs for London
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.