Students who have completed graduate coursework in a field other than Middle Eastern Studies may be able to transfer some units towards MENAS Ph.D. requirements, depending on their applicability as determined by the departmental Graduate Studies Committee. Once advised to do so by this committee, such students should submit a request to the Graduate College (in consultation with the Graduate Advisor) prior to the end of their first year of study.
The Middle Eastern and North African Studies at University of Arizona invites highly qualified BA students to apply directly to the Ph.D. program. Applicants accepted into the Ph.D. program without an MA will be awarded an MA in MENAS after successfully completing the MENAS MA requirements, which are included in their course of doctoral study. These requirements comprise 33 units of graduate MENAS coursework.
The School of Middle Eastern and North African Studies is a multi-disciplinary unit focusing on the region extending from Morocco to Afghanistan which includes the Arab world, Iran, Israel and Turkey, providing a full range of language courses in Arabic, Persian, Turkish and Hebrew (through Judaic Studies) and undergraduate and graduate studies in culture, history, religion, politics and conflict.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Concentrations at the doctoral level are available in the fields of:
- Critical Studies in Modern Middle Eastern Culture and Society
- Islamic Studies
- Linguistics of Middle Eastern Languages
- Middle Eastern Literatures (Arabic, Hebrew, Persian, and Turkish)
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies International Relations Linguistics View 32 other Masters in Linguistics in United States
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- Transcripts from all colleges and universities attended
- 3 Letters of recommendation from academic references preferable. Note: recommenders will be required to upload their letters through the graduate college website. Instructions on how this works are provided within the online application process- we do not have a recommendation form.
- Statement of purpose
- Curriculum Vitae/Resume
- Writing Sample (term paper, chapter of thesis, etc.)
- GPA 3.0 on undergraduate or M.A. degree (cumulative GPA or last 60 semester units if your undergraduate GPA is lower than 3.0 cumulative; graduate GPA taken will be cumulative only)
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International20126 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 10063 USD per semester and a duration of 24 months.
National20126 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 10063 USD per semester and a duration of 24 months.
In-State11938 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 5969 USD per semester and a duration of 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.