In their research and teaching, our faculty members represent interdisciplinary areas of research across the humanities, social sciences, and education. The alliances made with other academic departments at UMBC have made our program an ideal incubator of knowledge and interdisciplinary inquiry.
Founded in 1998, this interdisciplinary Language, Literacy and Culture program at the University of Maryland Baltimore County (UMBC) investigates the concepts and processes of Language, Literacy, and Culture in relationship to social, cultural, linguistic, historical, technological, and ideological formations.
A unique value of this program is our wide range of contemporary multi-disciplinary perspectives and a continuum of methodological approaches from the arts, humanities, and social sciences. Our research and teaching community includes affiliated faculty from more than nine programs and departments across our campus. We expand beyond traditional methodological and disciplinary divisions, encouraging synergistic, collaborative, community- and place-based approaches that combine theories and applications. Our vision of language, literacy, and culture places those processes as crucially important to participatory democracy.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Our community prepares our doctoral students to:
- think critically about the systems, institutions, processes, and everyday practices of language, literacy, and culture
- acquire a comprehensive understanding of the diverse conceptions of language, literacy, and culture in interdisciplinary research, from quantitative social science to ethnographic and sociolinguistic studies, action research, sociopoetic theories and more.
- critically assess scholarly research from a variety of fields and disciplines, particularly in the construction of social and cultural formations and identities, and to use this knowledge to address inequalities.
- implement dissertation research projects that may address diversity, difference, inequalities, anomalies, and the marginalized, and may also theorize the production and representation of knowledge in relation to multiple literacies in the histories of reading, literacy and digital cultures.
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Languages Linguistics View 56 other PhDs in Languages in United States
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- Official Transcripts of all prior coursework and degrees
- Master’s Degree (MA/MS) in related disciplines. Degree may still be in progress as long as it is completed by the spring semester prior to fall admittance.
- CV (preferred) or Resumé
- Graduate Record Examination (GRE) scores (only for those without a Master’s degree from a U.S. university)
- Three letters of recommendation attesting to the applicant’s academic and personal potential to contribute substantially to a field of study related to the current research of the LLC program.
- Statement of Goals and Research Interests explaining the research you would like to do, the relevant fields and theoretical areas, your methodological approaches, and how you understand the power of interdisciplinarity to the research you hope to conduct.
- Academic writing sample (a published academic article, an article ready for submission, a recent research paper, or a research-based report)
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International23580 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 23580 USD per year during 48 months.
National23580 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 23580 USD per year during 48 months.
In-State14814 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 14814 USD per year during 48 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.