The Doctor of Philosophy in Sociology offers programs designed for both students holding a bachelor’s degree in sociology or a closely related discipline who have a strong record of academic success, are likely to be highly successful in graduate school, and who have a professional interest in, and commitment to, earning a doctorate in Sociology and for students who have already earned a Master’s degree in Sociology or a closely related discipline, and who can demonstrate evidence of substantial expertise in Sociology.
Graduates of this program at University of Nevada, Las Vegas are well prepared for academic research and teaching positions, as well as careers in applied and community sociology. Educational outcomes for our doctoral program include: development of expertise in both classical and contemporary sociological theories, mastery of both quantitative and qualitative research methods and data analysis, development of specialized expert knowledge in at least two substantive areas, professional socialization, participation in professional organizations, oral presentation skills, familiarity with the process of academic publication of original research, and cultivation of analytical research and writing skills that culminate in the ability to author an original doctoral dissertation of substantial depth and quality.
Ph.D.'s in Sociology will be able to:
Show Evidence of the Development of a Sociological Imagination
- Apply sociological knowledge, principles, concepts and the sociological imagination to their own projects.
Exhibit Confidence in Expressing Ideas Orally and in Writing
Students can demonstrate critical thinking:
- Demonstrate skills in recall, analysis and application, and synthesis and evaluation.
- Identify underlying assumptions in theoretical orientations or arguments.
- Identify underlying assumptions in particular methodological approaches to an issue.
- Show how patterns of thought and knowledge are directly influenced by political and economic social structures.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Logic of Social Inquiry
- Quantitative Methods
- Advanced Analytical Techniques
- Classical Sociological Theory
- Issues in Contemporary Sociological Theory
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesAnthropology Sociology View 16 other PhDs in Anthropology in United States
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- Applicants to the Post-Bachelor's subplan must hold a bachelor's degree in sociology from a regionally accredited institution (required).
- Applicants to the Post-Master's subplan must hold a master's degree in sociology, or an equivalent master's degree, from an accredited institution in which you wrote and successfully defended a master's thesis.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International23411 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 23411 USD per year
National23411 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 23411 USD per year
In-State6869 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 6869 USD per year
Living costs for Las Vegas
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.