Doctoral students in the Arts and Creative Industries degree at London South Bank University often work together organising conferences, assisting academics in editing academic journals and publications and leading research-related events and symposia.
Our applied research tackles real-world issues and encompasses a wide variety of methodologies and approaches, including practice-based research, empirical work on audiences and cultural institutions, as well as theory-driven analysis. We offer supervision in a variety of fields and we welcome diverse projects. 80% of our research was awarded 3* out of 4* for impact – ‘very considerable impacts in terms of their reach and significance’ – by the Research Excellence Framework (REF) 2014.
There are two Research Centres in the department reflecting distinct areas of specialism – Centre for the Study of Networked Image and Centre for Research in Digital Storymaking. Our academic members of staff are active researchers, working at the cutting edge of research in many different aspects of performance and theatre, curation, museum studies, cultural policy, networked cultures, photography, film and journalism.
We are University of the Year for Graduate Employment for the second year in a row - The Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide 2018, 2019.
At LSBU, we want to set you up for a successful career. During your studies – and for two years after you graduate – you’ll have access to our Employability Service, which includes:
- An online board where you can see a wide range of placements: part-time, full-time or voluntary. You can also drop in to see our Job Shop advisers, who are always available to help you take the next step in your search.
- Our Careers Gym offering group workshops on CVs, interview techniques and finding work experience, as well as regular presentations from employers across a range of sectors.
Our Student Enterprise team can also help you start your own business and develop valuable entrepreneurial skills.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
We welcome proposals in all areas of research relevant to the School, but are particularly interested in applications which relate to one or more of the following:
- online network cultures and the networked image
- art and technology
- cultural policy
- museum studies
- performance and borders
- performance and digital technologies
- institutional and educational evaluation
- digital storytelling (including digital journalism)
- sonic culture
- audience research
- production research (including games and VR/AR/MR)
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 36 months
- 60 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesVisual Arts Film, Photography & Media Management of Creative Industries View 56 other PhDs in Visual Arts in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
Applicants for a Research Degree programme at LSBU are usually expected to have:
- a good honours degree (2:2 and above) and a relevant postgraduate qualification, preferably a merit at Master's level.
- two academic references
- proof of all of your qualifications.
- PhD proposal (see instructions here – I will provide the document)
- if English is not your first language you will be required to prove your competency in English, showing an IELTS score of at least 7.0 at postgraduate level.
You will be required to attend an interview with your potential supervisor, in person or by telephone, prior to an offer being made.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International15400 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 15400 GBP per year during 36 months.
National4670 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4670 GBP per year during 36 months.
- UK fee: £2802
- International fee: £9240
- UK fee: £4670
- International fee: £4670
Living costs for London
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
International undergraduate and postgraduate students scholarships:
- International Scholarships
- LSBU is offering scholarships and discounts to hundreds of students via our International Scholarships International Merit Scholarships
- We offer students pursuing undergraduate or postgraduate taught programmes with outstanding academic profiles a fee reduction of up to £4,000 on each full academic year's tuition fees.
- LSBU Loyalty Award
- We offer postgraduate Tuition Fee discounts for LSBU graduates progressing directly onto a postgraduate course and eligible alumni.
- ONCAMPUS London South Bank Merit Scholarship
- 25% fee reduction to ONCAMPUS London South Bank students progressing to university degree programmes.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.