Doctoral students identify, investigate and theorize the social functions of texts in a variety of contexts both within and outside the academy, doing work that crosses the increasingly fluid boundaries that have begun to characterize the profession of literary and cultural studies. The English program from Kent State University provides sustained focus on the social functions of all categories of texts (both literary and non-literary), including the conditions of their production, distribution and consequent use.
Graduates of this program will be able to:
- Demonstrate effective teaching skills and knowledge of appropriate teaching theories.
- Demonstrate the ability to read and interpret research in their field.
- Write coherently and clearly about research topics and other topics.
- Demonstrate an understanding of how disciplines are interconnected.
- Demonstrate the ability to think critically and creatively about topics both inside and outside academia.
- Apply appropriate research methods to objects of study.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Methods in the Study of Literature
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
For timely consideration of the application, it is recommended applicants submit a complete application at least one month before the start of the semester.
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Languages Linguistics View 79 other PhDs in Languages in United States
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- Master's degree from an accredited college or university
- Minimum 2.750 GPA on a 4.000-point scale
- Official transcript(s)
- GRE scores (GRE waived for in-service teachers)effective for spring 2023 admission, the GRE will no longer be required
- Goal statement
- Writing sample (8-15 pages) relevant to the field of study
- Three letters of recommendation
- English language proficiency
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International17982 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 17982 USD per year
National17982 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 17982 USD per year
In-State9648 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9648 USD per year
Living costs for Kent
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.