The Architecture program from KU Leuven title depends on the position of the (main) supervisor within KU Leuven and not on the specific research subject, nor on earlier qualifications of the doctoral student. (Please note that the Faculty Doctoral Committee will decide which degrees are acceptable, more info.)
- If the (main) supervisor is a member of the Faculty of Engineering Science (architectural engineering, Arenberg Castle, Heverlee), the PhD candidate will obtain a PhD in Engineering/Architecture.
- If the (main) supervisor is a member of the Faculty of Architecture (architecture, Campus Sint-Lucas Brussels Ghent), the PhD candidate will receive a PhD in Architecture.
About the department
KU Leuven’s Department of Architecture brings together researchers from the Faculty of Engineering Science and the Faculty of Architecture with offices in Leuven, Brussels and Ghent. With over 40 full time professors, 30 guest professors, 14 postdoc and 180 other researchers, this is Flanders’ largest research department in the field of Architecture. The department is situated at the crossroads of a variety of research methodologies and traditions. It has its roots in both polytechnics and artistic tradition, and is enriched by perspectives from the social sciences.
In Flanders we aim to be the standard for policy-oriented, applied research and research by design. The research performed by the department is intended to have a positive impact on urban and spatial planning policies, encouraging the advancement of architecture in Flanders. Keeping sustainability, social innovation and quality high on the political agenda for the near future and in the long run remains the paramount objective of the department. In addition to this, the department plays its part in fortifying the research base for the practice of interior architecture, architecture, conservation and urbanism and spatial planning. This is achieved by developing close working relationships with a variety of different actors, to include public institutions, social organisations and architectural and design firms.
Programme StructureThe four research sections of the Department of Architecture are listed below. These research sections represent the different research groups in the boards and councils of the department.
- History, Theory and Criticism of Architecture
- Urban Design, Urbanism, Landscape and Planning
- Design and Engineering of Construction and Architecture
- Architecture and Design
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
Together with the future corresponding supervisor the candidate requests permission from the doctoral committee of the faculty to which the corresponding supervisor is affiliated to enrol as a PhD researcher. The candidate must meet the following requirements:
- Either the candidate must hold a Flemish Master’s degree relevant to the doctoral research or an equivalent higher education degree, and also have obtained at least a distinction or have distinguished him/herself with high-quality scientific publications or design-oriented achievements,
- Or the candidate must have passed the predoctoral exam with the degree of distinction
The candidate must also have sufficiently mastered the language of the discipline in order to be able to participate actively in the research.
Living costs for Leuven
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.