About the Program
Our focus at this interface is on combining quantitative, physical, and integrative principles with advances in modern biology.
The Biological Engineering program of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) prepares students to do research that will:
- Increase understanding of how biological systems function in terms of physical/chemical mechanisms, and of how they respond when perturbed by external factors including medical therapeutics and environmental agents.
- Create novel technologies based on this understanding for a spectrum of applications emphasizing, but not limited to, human health from both medical and environmental perspectives.
- Generate new biology-based paradigms for solving problems in non-biological applications of science and engineering.
The primary graduate degree offered by the department is a Biological Engineering Ph.D.
Programme StructureCourses include:
- Principles of Molecular Bioengineering
- Analysis of Biological Networks
- Mechanisms of Drug Actions
- Principles of Synthetic Biology
- Molecular/Cell Tissue Biomechanics
- Physical Biology
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesBio & Biomedical Engineering General Engineering & Technology Bioinformatics View 36 other PhDs in Bio & Biomedical Engineering in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- A demonstrated interest and excitement for research, an academic grounding in the quantitative and life sciences, and enthusiastic support from previous mentors.
- We do not require that students have had a certain undergraduate major to apply to BE. We encourage students with a science, math, or engineering background to apply. We recommend that students include both biochemistry and cell biology in their undergraduate curriculums, or demonstrate familiarity with these disciplines through their previous research experiences.
- Three or more names and email addresses of letter writers
- Scanned copies of your College Transcripts
- GRE Scores
- For international students, scanned copies of your IELTS scores
- Educational and work history
- Statement of objectives
- Outside financial support and potential outside support
- Credit card payment of $75
International26725 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 26725 USD per year during 36 months.
National26725 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 26725 USD per year during 36 months.
Living costs for Cambridge
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.