- This Statistics at the University of Pennsylvania trains students for academic research careers. The foundation is a sequence of courses in probability, mathematical statistics, linear models and statistical computing. The program also encourages study in a cognate area of application.
- Major areas of departmental research include: analysis of observational studies; Bayesian inference, bioinformatics; computational biology; decision theory; game theory; genomics; high dimensional inference; information theory; machine learning; model selection; nonparametric function estimation; and time series analysis.
- Students typically have a strong undergraduate background in mathematics. Knowledge of linear algebra and advanced calculus is required, and experience with real analysis is helpful. Although some exposure to undergraduate probability and statistics is expected, skills in mathematics and computer science are more important.
- Bayesian Statistics
- Stochastic Processes
- Statistical Methodology
- Mathematical Statistics
- Introduction to Linear Statistical Models
- Advanced Topics in Mathematical Statistics
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesStatistics Bioinformatics Machine Learning View 44 other PhDs in Bioinformatics in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Letters of recommendation
- Academic history
International39470 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 39470 USD per year during 48 months.
National39470 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 39470 USD per year during 48 months.
Living costs for Philadelphia
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
- Students admitted to the PhD program typically receive a fellowship providing tuition and a stipend for four years. The students participate in the teaching and research activities of the Statistics Department.
- All admitted Wharton doctoral students receive a fellowship that covers the cost of tuition and health insurance, and provides a stipend. It is expected that a similar level of financial aid may be awarded for up to 5 years. All financial aid awards are contingent upon a student's satisfactory academic progress.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.