- The educational goal of the BME Graduate Field is to produce future leaders of BME who are able to able to apply quantitative methods across multiple spatial and temporal scales in order to solve problems related to human health.
- A person can have an impact only through communication and so the BME Graduate Field emphasizes written, spoken, and presentation communication skills. A student in the Field will acquire and practice these skills pervasively throughout their program, e.g., in course work, A and B exams, teaching, publishing research papers, etc.
- Ethical issues are important in all domains but especially so in BME because of the proximity to human health. Discussion of these issues arise in many contexts during the first year, e.g., in the Summer Immersion Term. The successful completion of the Responsible Conduct of Research unit online is required of all students.
- The field focuses on both the molecular and macroscopic aspects of biomedical engineering and comprises five research areas: biomedical instrumentation; drug delivery, design and metabolism; biomaterials; computational and systems biology; and medical biomechanics.
- Facilities commonly used include the Cornell Nanofabrication Facility, the NSF STC in Nanobiotechnology, the Cornell High-Energy Synchrotron Source (CHESS), the Cornell Theory Center, the Cornell Center for Advanced Technology in Biotechnology, and the programs in the Department of Biomechanics and Biomaterials at the Hospital for Special Surgery, the Orthopedic Affiliate of the Cornell Medical College.
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesBio & Biomedical Engineering Materials Science & Engineering General Engineering & Technology View 36 other PhDs in Bio & Biomedical Engineering in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- A statement of purpose
- English language proficiency
International29500 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 29500 USD per year
National29500 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 29500 USD per year
Living costs for Ithaca
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.