- All three major subdivisions of mathematics (algebra, analysis, and geometry) are well represented at Cornell. The department is also very strong in logic, probability, statistics, numerical methods for partial differential equations, and symbolic computations, topology, and Lie theory.
- Candidates are expected to obtain a broad acquaintance with the basic subjects of present-day mathematics and to be able to do research in one or more branches of mathematics. A reading knowledge of French, German or Russian must be demonstrated. Candidates must obtain some teaching experience.
- We do not require you to choose a specific research area or a dissertation advisor at the outset of your graduate education. The best way to make an informed choice of a research area and to make headway in it is to gain knowledge in a number of areas of mathematics. As a beginning student you will be taking various required core courses in basic subjects.
- Furthermore, aside from providing research training we prepare our students for careers as professional mathematicians in a variety of settings including academia, business and government. Our aim therefore is to educate flexible and broadly knowledgeable mathematicians, and to this end we offer besides the core courses a wide selection of advanced courses and seminars.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- We will help you develop the oral and written communication skills expected of a professional mathematician. You will acquire these skills in part through courses and dissertation work.
- Active participation in our many seminars, several of which are targeted to students, is another way to improve your presentation skills and will also ease your transition from a learner to a researcher of mathematics. In addition, many practising mathematicians are involved in teaching at some level, and that is why we require every student to undergo our teaching assistant training program and to participate in the teaching mission of the mathematics department.
- 60 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesMathematics Applied Mathematics Actuarial Science View 26 other PhDs in Applied Mathematics in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- A statement of purpose
- English language proficiency
International29500 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 29500 USD per year during 60 months.
National29500 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 29500 USD per year during 60 months.
Living costs for Ithaca
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.