Ethnic Studies from University of California, Berkeley provides rigorous interdisciplinary training as well as critical grounding in comparative, relational, and intersectional analysis made possible by the core subfields of the department—Asian American and Asian Diaspora Studies, Chicana/o and Latina/o Studies, Native American Studies, and Comparative Ethnic Studies.
Students at Ethnic Studies from University of California, Berkeley will:
- learn social science and humanities methodologies, including archival research, ethnography, oral history, and textual and visual analysis.
- pursue a “Designated Emphasis” in such areas as Critical Theory, Film Studies, Indigenous Language Revitalization, New Media, and Women, Gender, and Sexuality.
Programme StructureCourses include:
- Series in Comparative Transnational Theories and Methods
- Professional Writing
- "Theories and Approaches to Inter-Racial Histories of the United States"
- “The Rise of Authoritarianism, Ethic Nationalism and Othering and Belonging: How the Fear of the "Other" is Being Used to Challenge Democratic Norms”
- "Lifeworlds of Indigenous Thought"
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies Ethnic Studies History View 41 other PhDs in History in United States
- The typical minimum GPA is 3.0. If your GPA falls below 3.0, please provide an explanation in your statement of purpose.
- Statement of Purpose
- Personal Statement:
- Writing Sample
- Letters of Recommendation
- Evidence of English Language Proficiency
- Application Fee
International11442 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 5721 USD per semester during 36 months.
National11442 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 5721 USD per semester during 36 months.
Living costs for Berkeley
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.