Film and Media from University of California, Berkeley integrates the traditions of History, Law, Literature, Religion and Political Theory to the newer disciplines of Film Studies and Digital Media, applying the tools of Post-Structuralism, Psychoanalysis, New Historicism, Frankfurt School, Feminist Theory, Queer Theory, Post-Colonialism and Deconstruction. Many combine their degree study with a campus Designated Emphasis (graduate “minor”) in New Media, in Critical Theory, or in Women, Gender and Sexuality.
Students at Film and Media from University of California, Berkeley will:
- learn to widen the possibilities in advanced digital-media production.
- gain knowledge in film and media history and theory, digital-media production component
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Graduate Film Theory
- Graduate Topics in Film: 3D - Dimensionality of the Moving Image
- Graduate Topics in Film: Queer Aesthetics
- Graduate Topics in Film: Inheriting Cultural Disaster
- 60 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesVisual Arts Film, Photography & Media Media Studies & Mass Media View 12 other PhDs in Visual Arts in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- A $120 application fee for U.S. citizens and permanent residents; $140 fee for all others.
- Three letters of recommendation submitted electronically.
- At least one writing sample of a maximum of 30 pages. (this may be excerpted from a longer paper, but we suggest it not exceed 30 pages)
- Evidence of English Language Proficiency
International11442 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 5721 USD per semester during 60 months.
National11442 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 5721 USD per semester during 60 months.
Living costs for Berkeley
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.