Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) is the highest possible degree in mathematics. It implies the mathematical maturity and ability requisite of a faculty member at the university level, and one who is expected to advance the discipline of mathematics through research and teaching. We seek to achieve this through thorough training in the core areas in mathematics, research specialization and teaching of undergraduate mathematics. The Mathematics programme is offered by The Ohio State University.
The Department of Mathematics at The Ohio State University offers Doctor of Philosophy (PhD), Master's of Mathematical Sciences (MMS), and Master's of Actuarial Science and Quantitative Risk Management (MAQRM) degree programs. Graduate students in these programs are part of a challenging environment with unique opportunities for teaching and research, and have the opportunity to work with some of the finest scholars in the country.
Active areas of study and research include:
- Actuarial science
- Algebra and number theory
- Algebraic and differential geometry
- Applied mathematics
- Classical and modern analysis
- Combinatorics and group theory
- Dynamical systems and ergodic theory
- Probability theory
- Mathematical biology
- Ordinary and partial differential equations
- Representation theory
- Scientific computing
- 72 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesMathematics Applied Mathematics Actuarial Science View 19 other PhDs in Actuarial Science in United States
- The equivalent of a four-year bachelor's or advanced degree from an accredited college or university, earned by the expected date of entry into your graduate program.
- A minimum 3.0 cumulative GPA (on a 4.0 scale or equivalent) for the last bachelor's or advanced degree earned.
- Transcripts or other credentials documenting that you have completed prerequisite academic work.
- Standardized test score (GRE or GMAT)
International40507 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 40507 USD per year during 72 months.
National37140 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 37140 USD per year during 72 months.
In-State12424 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 12424 USD per year during 72 months.
Living costs for Columbus
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.