- By working with top scientists in the field, Biomedical Informatics students at the Columbia University will have the ability to use data to transform what we know about disease and biology and fundamentally improve how health care is approached and delivered.
- Students must pass two preliminary oral examinations before reaching candidacy. The first oral exam is generally taken the summer of the second year and the second oral exam is taken after the student has identified his or her dissertation topic. The dissertation proposal defense must take place within six months after passing the second oral exam. Students receive the MA and MPhil degrees, respectively, after obtaining the requisite residence units and passing the first oral (for the MA) and second oral (for the MPhil) examinations. Upon earning the MPhil degree, the student has reached candidacy.
Programme StructurePhD Research
- Research is the primary focus of the doctoral program and represents more than half of the required points, and students are expected to receive an “A” or above in research every semester.
- Students are expected to work a minimum of 25 hours per week on research in the first year, increasing to 60 hours by the third year. Research should be the primary occupation of the student’s time during the summer, due to the absence of course work. The doctoral dissertation is the culmination of the student’s research activity.
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesBio & Biomedical Engineering Biology Bioinformatics View 189 other PhDs in Biology in United States
- A bachelor's degree in computer science, engineering, mathematics, physics, biology, nursing, medicine, public health, information management, or similar discipline.
- The applicant should have demonstrated strong mathematical and computer science skills.
Living costs for Manhattan
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.